Danbooru

Height Difference vs. Size Difference

Posted under General

This has probably been discussed before but I thought I'd bring it up of curiosity.

Only size difference has a wiki and it seems to encompass height difference, too. Not only that height difference has very few posts compared to size difference, which seems to say its more useful as well.

So my question is if they are essentially the same tag should height difference just be aliased to size difference? If not, what is the difference?

Updated by S1eth

According to the wiki, size difference "also includes more 'natural' differences in size that are nonetheless a focus of the pic." Is that just plain wrong?

I wouldn't mind going through the two tags and straightening it out, I'd just like to confirm I understand what the tags should mean.

Rampardos said:
According to the wiki, size difference "also includes more 'natural' differences in size that are nonetheless a focus of the pic." Is that just plain wrong?

Guess it depends how you read size. Height isn't actually mentionned in the wiki, so you could think it meant height_difference would be separate, but that's unclear.

Rampardos said:
I wouldn't mind going through the two tags and straightening it out, I'd just like to confirm I understand what the tags should mean.

Well I don't use these tags but I think the point would be to split between simple height contrast (short vs tall), and scale contrast (small vs big), when there's more than height involved so (appears to mostly concern loli/shota posts from a quick glance a the tag).

In other words:

- height_difference:
post #580018
post #939027
post #811858
post #696856

- size_difference:
post #877065 (rating:q, strong emphasis on body frames difference)
post #714864
post #894013
post #835311

- borderline (both tags):
post #728458 (they look like children and minigirls at the same time so I guess both would be right)

There're also some posts where I think the tags make no sense (post #935504, post #926321, etc.) but oh well.

Cyberia-Mix said:
size difference needs to be cleaned.

Pretty much done.

I can understand why nobody else did it: Feels like it took forever to look at every of those roughly 1000 posts.

While I judged most posts similar to what Cyberia-Mix suggested, I was a bit stricter with keeping the size difference tag because according to the wiki article it should be for “images that focus heavily on the size difference”. For most pictures it applied only marginally or height difference was just a better fit.

Noteworthy:

• Most of the mistagged posts had just height difference, like the examples by Cyberia-Mix above.
  • Most of the correctly tagged posts had dragons, fairies, certain Pokemon, mechas, grand scale stuff or similar.
  • Some of the remaining posts were a bit tricky, but I left size difference tagged when it was significant to the post’s content, like a way taller character toying with a way smaller character or similar.
  • Some posts had most of the characters obscured, out of frame or in odd positions so that it was hard to even see how tall they are, so I put neither size difference nor height difference due to “tag what you see”.
  • I feel like I’ve seen every Rin/Archer post on Danbooru (not true, though).
  • Many posts with Waver Velvet and Rider (fate/zero) gave me trouble, because sometimes Rider is inhumanly huge, towering over Waver or carrying him on his shoulder or in his hand like a small animal (size difference), sometimes he’s just a tall man on normal scale (height difference) and sometimes he’s in between and I had no clue at all (just added height difference to size difference when in doubt).
  • I skipped a bunch of explicit posts (size_difference rating:e) that had stuff on my blacklist. Would be great if someone could check those remaining 94 posts.

While I won’t claim that I got everything right, size difference should be significantly more useful now and I don’t think I made it worse.

Considering that there will still be people misusing this tag, here’s a search for posts newer than the last one I checked: size_difference id:1067105..

Bumping this since @EB brought it up in another topic:

size difference is a bit of a problematic tag at this point since it seems a lot of taggers completely ignore the wiki definition and use it for "natural" differences in size (like an adult with a child). I think it's in need of some massive cleanup, but that probably should be the subject of a different thread (to see if the wiki definition is even agreed on).

I'm all for cleaning up this mess of a tag if there is consensus that its current wiki definition is the right way to go. But does anyone have suggestions for ways to mitigate this rampant mistagging? Taggers ignoring the wiki and using tags based on their own interpretation has always been a problem here and probably always will be, but some tags are more prone to this treatment than others. Would a rename would help clarify how this tag is to be used?

iridescent_slime said:

I'm all for cleaning up this mess of a tag if there is consensus that its current wiki definition is the right way to go.

As mentioned above, I cleaned it out almost six yeas ago, but I haven’t maintained it since.

But does anyone have suggestions for ways to mitigate this rampant mistagging? Taggers ignoring the wiki and using tags based on their own interpretation has always been a problem here and probably always will be, but some tags are more prone to this treatment than others. Would a rename would help clarify how this tag is to be used?

Rename to scale_difference and make size_difference a Do Not Use?