alias wardrobe -> closet

Posted under Tags

In fact, the problem is not as simple as I initially thought, because the sources disagree between themselves, for example:

  • In Wikipedia, wardrobe is a subset of closet:

A small closet used for storing clothes.
A wardrobe or armoire or almirah is a standing closet used for storing clothes.
The name of wardrobe was then given to a room in which the wall-space was filled with closets and lockers, the drawer being a comparatively modern invention. (No bibliographic citation)

  • In the Collins dictionary, it's the opposite:

A wardrobe is sometimes built into the wall of a room, rather than being a separate piece of furniture.
In American English, a built-in wardrobe is called a closet.

  • In Cambridge dictionary:


A tall cupboard in which you hang your clothes
A wardrobe is also a piece of furniture where clothes are kept.


A cupboard or a small room with a door, used for storing things, especially clothes
A small room or space in a wall where you can store things such as clothes, sheets, etc., often having a door so that it can be closed

Finally, if someone would ever go deeper for this, there's this link where the person really did the homework and investigated further.

TLDR: Sources don't say exactly the same thing, specially wikipedia, there's also cupboards in the mix, in a way that wardrobes are just a large version of those. Any ideas for implications or aliases, or should we keep it as it is?

It might be worthwhile qualifying wardrobe as wardrobe_(furniture) to discourage usage of it for closets. Most of the wardrobe posts I believe (at a glance) seem to match the furniture usage for the term. If necessary afterwards could have wardrobe, wardrobe_(architecture), or similar aliased to closet for the room feature.

I currently do not want to mess with the cupboard tag, since that would probably also then invite bringing in the term cabinet into the discussion.

blindVigil said:

post #481876 is just a closet with a shelf, it's wrong to call that "furniture" and I wouldn't call it a wardrobe.

I'd rather not mix together things like post #4903134 and post #4027870, if it doesn't look like you could move it, it shouldn't be called "furniture"

We could make a walk-in closet tag, probably imply it to closet.

I agree with your idea and arguments, I actually brought the built-in category because I was also hesitant about calling it a furniture. I suppose you got the wrong post in the first link? I can't see any wardrobes or closets at all in post #481876.

I'll try making a imply walk-in closet -> closet BUR as a way to see if everyone agree with the whole idea, rather than expecting someone will take the first step and getting nothing done or me/someone else creating the tag and populating it, much to the dismay of others because no consensus were reached before.

blindVigil was referencing post #post #4815876, but the 5 got deleted from it so it ended up post #481876

Most closets would be fairly small (ie a broom closet, a coat closet, etc), ones you probably couldn't walk into once you actually started putting things into it. So your #2 would definitely be what most people in the US would regularly just call a closet and not the furniture wardrobe.