Wiki Improvement Hotline
Formerly: Danbooru Wiki and Help Improvement Suggestions
Welcome! This thread was originally made in 2010, as a place for opinions on how the Wiki help can be improved.
The goals are to improve the Wiki help so that:
- It is easy to read and understand.
- It clearly defines Danbooru's purpose, policy and content standards.
- It clearly explains Danbooru's features, capabilities, limitations and how it works.
The Wiki help can be divided into the following concerns:
- Lurker's Guides to introduce new users to how this site works.
- Tutorials that explain in detail on how to use Danbooru's features.
- Rules and Terms of Service related wikis.
Previously on The Wiki
September 25th, 2013
Right before this thread was started, I had been a lurker until I learned about Danbooru's manual mod queue and the plight of the moderators of having to deal with an overwhelming backlog of status:pending and minimally-tagged Posts in an old Danbooru 1 thread. I wanted to make moderation process easier, and I thought if we had a better upload and tagging guides, uploaders and taggers will understand and start uploading better art and tagging their uploads. Did the new wikis help? I leave you to be the judge.
One thing led to another and then I had this plan was to expand the help wikis into a multi-part guide (the parts were the Lurker Guides, Contributor Guides, Terms of Service, Feature Help, Developer Guide and Knowledge Base). As of today the wiki help is much smaller that what I had originally planned, but I hope this is for the better.
So far, Lurker and Contributor Guides have been done. I rewrote some of the existing help wikis, and ended up creating some new ones, like the Tag Checklist. help:home was given a facelift, and some of the important help wikis that were hidden are now out in the open. Some of the wikis may be due for a rewrite, due to things like obsolete references, and the lack of references to more current issues and changes.
There were also improvements that I did not do, such as howto:pools (jjj14) and the wikification of help pages that were formerly in static pages (Toks), so thanks to you guys and girls (if there are any :3).
The Developer Guide will not be finished anytime soon, due to the amount of Ruby and Rails I will have to learn before getting into writing about Danbooru's internals. If you feel like writing developer docs, you're all welcome to start before I do!
The following parts of the original plan will not be done, because I think they aren't very suitable for a wiki:
- Knowledge Base - Wiki containing a list of useful threads and important issues from the forum will be kept. This was because I found the forum search in Danbooru 1 nearly unusuable. Danbooru 2 made the forum somewhat easier to use with its categories, although forum search remains less that easy. I think improving forum search will be a better way than having to constantly maintain a manual knowledgebase.
- Feature Help - A humongous guide describing every feature (or function) in detail, including what they do and how they work. I realized that my approach wasn't as effective or efficient as I thought. Danbooru's codebase keeps changing as new features are added and old ones are fixed, and my approach was particularly bad at adapting for these changes.
Finally, I want to thank those who helped out, and continue to help out: glasnost, jxh2154, junnigatsu_no_usagi, Cyberia-Mix, albert, kounishin, and everyone else who will post suggestions in this thread.