Ratings are used to categorize content on Danbooru. Danbooru has four ratings: rating:general, rating:sensitive, rating:questionable, and rating:explicit.
Broadly speaking, these categories are:
- rating:general - G-rated content. Completely safe for work. Nothing sexualized or inappropriate to view in front of others.
- rating:sensitive - Ecchi, sexy, suggestive, or mildly erotic. Skimpy or revealing clothes, swimsuits, underwear, images focused on the breasts or ass, and anything else potentially not safe for work.
- rating:questionable - Softcore erotica. Simple nudity or near-nudity, but no explicit sex or exposed genitals.
- rating:explicit - Hardcore erotica. Explicit sex acts, exposed genitals, and bodily fluids.
- G-rated, completely safe for work content.
- Fully clothed characters.
- Completely non-sexual scenes.
- Innocent comics and 4komas.
- Portraits and faces.
- Chibi and cute things.
- Content without people (scenery, still lifes, no humans, text-only pages, food focus, animal focus, SFW Pokémon, etc)
- Innocent displays of affection (hugging, holding hands, kissing that isn't sexually charged, etc)
- Trivial or cartoon violence (comedic or non-serious fighting, minor head bumps, cuts, blood, or bruises, or other injuries that don't result in lasting harm).
- Legal drug use (smoking or drinking alcohol).
- Mild profanity, insults, or rude gestures (e.g. middle finger) without lewd or sexual connotations.
- Ecchi, sexy, risqué, or suggestive content, even mildly so.
- Skimpy or revealing clothes, including swimsuits, lingerie, underwear, cleavage cutouts, playboy bunnysuits, skin tight or impossible clothes, etc.
- Anything focused on the ass, breasts, cleavage, underboob, sideboob, feet, armpits, lips, or other sexualized parts of the body.
- Exposed groin area (hip lines) or dimples of venus.
- Pantyshots, upskirts, and similar fanservice.
- Thin, see-through, or wet clothes that reveal the underwear or body underneath.
- Subtle cameltoes or covered nipples not blatant enough for rating:questionable.
- Implied sexual situations (visible condoms, sex toys in the background, penetration gestures, etc)
- Mildly disturbing violence (blood or injury that is not G-rated).
- Depictions of thoughts of suicide or self-harm (including gun to head).
- Hard or illegal drug use.
- Anything not G-rated, not completely safe for work, or not completely safe to view in front of others.
- Anything you're not sure is safe enough for rating:general. When in doubt, use rating:sensitive.
- Simple non-genital nudity, including nipples, areolae, and bare ass.
- Visible vulva or pubic hair, if subtle and not blatantly exposed, such as in standing full-frontal nudity. "Blatantly exposed" means spread legs, spread pussy, presenting, anything focused on the crotch, and anything where the pussy is fully visible.
- Near-nudity, such as highly revealing clothes or swimsuits, clothing that barely hides nudity, and clothing that is partially removed or torn.
- Nipples or genitals clearly visible though clothing, including covered nipples, cameltoes, wedgies, bulges, and erections under clothes.
- Mild sexual contact (ear biting, groping, breast grabbing, heavy kissing, etc)
- Implied sex acts that aren't clearly shown.
- Simulated sex acts (simulated fellatio, simulated footjob, etc).
- Blatantly sexually suggestive situations (fellatio gestures, oral invitations, etc).
- Innocent liquids shown in a sexual way (suggestive fluid).
- Bondage, spanking, BDSM, and other fetish activities without visible sex acts or bodily fluids.
- Sex toys that are plainly visible but aren't in use.
- Graphic or disturbing violence (death, major blood or injury, ryona, CBT, serious abuse).
- Exposed genitals, including the pussy, penis, and anus, whether censored or uncensored.
- Explicit sex acts, including sex, fellatio, masturbation, handjobs, fingering, sex toy use, etc, whether censored or uncensored.
- Bodily fluids, including cum, used condoms, and pussy juice.
- Guro, scat, extremely graphic violence (gore, dismemberment, etc), and NSFL content.
Note also that if an image is loli or shota, it lowers the requirements for what is considered "sensitive" significantly.
If you are unsure of what rating to use, post a comment or ask in topic #8495.